Saturday, June 26, 2010

Silence Still Equals Death

DO ASK. DO TELL.

via Huffington Post, by Jim Pickett 


As a gay man living with HIV, I am feeling really conflicted during this month of LGBT Pride. I know I am supposed to be awash in warm, fuzzy feelings of pride and joy, and that I should have lots of parties and the big parade on my agenda.

But you know what? Not so much. 

While curmudgeon is becoming more and more an apt description of yours truly, and while I applaud the community's herculean efforts around important issues such as marriage equality and repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," I have noticed over the last several years that one issue in particular gets a collective "ho, hum, been there, done that." And that issue is HIV.

You only have to say the letters H-I-V or A-I-D-S and you get a yawn and an eye roll -- all of a sudden you are standing alone at the vegetable dip. The epidemic has been with us for 29 years now -- it isn't hard to see why people are just plain over it and want to move on. But you know what? That is a luxury none of us can afford, sorry.

Read the rest. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...