Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kenya: Anal sex - "the modern way" - lies, and HIV

via IRIN PlusNews

For 10 years Amina Hassan*, 37, trusted her husband and had a happy married life in Nakuru, in Rift Valley Province, western Kenya. Even if her religion allowed him to marry other wives, he had always assured her that she was enough, and he would have no reason to marry anyone else. But she told IRIN/PlusNews that life changed when her husband went to work in the port city of Mombasa and he returned a different man.

"I got married in 1994 at the age of 20 to a man who was five years older than me. Every time we talked, he assured me of his love for me and his commitment to making me happy all the time. He said he was faithful to me even though as a truck driver he travelled for long distances and many days.

"In return, I remained faithful to him, I would miss him when he travelled but kept off the temptations of having another partner. He had rented a house for us in Bondeni, Nakuru, and I made sure no man, even a relative, visited in his absence, lest speculations start spreading around.

"In January 2004 he told me he would be working around the costal town of Mombasa for three weeks but... he did not return as promised and told me on the phone that he would take a little longer, as he had been assigned more work.

"When he came back in July the same year, it was a joyous moment for me and our children. But unlike before, the joy did not last over the night.

"He had never before asked to have anal sex with me, but on that particular night he demanded that it had to be done 'the modern way'. When I resisted, he threatened to leave me, saying I and the children would soon die from starvation as he would no longer provide for us.

Read the rest.


[If an item is not written by an IRMA member, it should not be construed that IRMA has taken a position on the article's content, whether in support or in opposition.]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...