Friday, December 17, 2010

Thanks, IRMA!

via IRMA, by Kelly Nichols, IRMA Intern

Over the last few months the biggest lesson I've learned is what it means to be an advocate. Admittedly, when I first joined Jim Pickett and the IRMA team I was skeptical of the utility of my incessant shouting into cyberspace. But, fellow advocates, I now know that you're out there.

Last month, when the iPrEx results were announced, IRMA was there with questions, and answers. It was exciting and inspiring to watch the listserv members dissect and discuss the results in real time, from all sides of each issue and from every corner of the globe. And, it's not just a theoretical, intellectual discussion; IRMA advocates come from all over the prevention community and are people that have a real impact on policy, treatment and technology. (By the way, if you're not already a member of the listserv, you really should be.) 

That's what advocacy is: talking, even when it seems like no one is listening. So, I'm going to keep talking about rectal microbicides, and I hope you all will too. It's been a pleasure, and I'll still be here, listening.

[If an item is not written by an IRMA member, it should not be construed that IRMA has taken a position on the article's content, whether in support or in opposition.]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...